Monday, March 26, 2012

The book I'm carrying around: The Hunger Games


The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


i'm reading because, well, who wants to be left out?  Although, I did pass on the whole Harry Potter (seemed scary and too wizardy - I draw the line at the Wizard of Oz) and Twilight (vampires? really?  not me) junior fiction phenomenon.  But this one actually seemed to have an interesting, not too sci-fi (i think) premise.  My initial reaction when I saw it in the Scholastic Book Fair racks last fall was that seemed like it would be violent and I thought it was a mistake that it was supposed to be in the kids/teem section.  But the girls really wanted to read it - "everybody at school is reading it" - so here we go.  I guess next they are going to try to drag me to the movies, too.

Basic premise of the book - sometime in the future - to keep society under control, the powers that be in the Capitol plan an annual fight to the death of the citizens children.  By lottery, 2 children are chosen from each area and then are pitted against each other until there's one last child standing.

Yes, I know, as a mother, as a normal person who doesn't like to think of children fighting til the death - what, how could I even think to read it?  Because some of my mommy-friends read it and I don't want to be left out.

Who else is reading it?  Is it scary?  Don't tell me what happens, but tell me what you think of it.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Unknown said...

No Freaking Way! I'm reading this too! Trying to hurry and finish so Blake and I can see the movie.