Monday, April 16, 2012

The Book I'm Carrying Around: The Weird Sisters


The Weird SistersThe Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown


I just started this last week over Spring Break and so far, like it.  Admittedly, if I had read more Shakespeare or paid more attention when I did, I might catch some obvious references - like which play all the lines are from and oh - who the sisters are named after, and realize that I'm missing some subtle ones that I'm sure are there.  Perfect example why reading a wide variety of genres is important, so that you'll understand others.  Anyway.  Even without being fully knowledgeable about every word penned by Shakespeare, the book is still entertaining.

On a technical note - the point of view is very interesting.  Its from first person, everything is "we", but at the same time, its in third person, "they", "she" "her name".  I'm almost expecting there to be a surprise 4th sister who is actually narrating the book (ooh - don't tell me if i'm right!)  but it seems like its from the collective first-person view of all the sisters, as if they are all telling the story at once and referring to each other by name.  Interesting.  I'm sure this breaks every rule in the point of view handbook, but if you can break a rule and do it well, why not?

And so - what's the book about?  I'm only a third of the way thru, I'll have to come back to that.  But for now - it seems to be about three sisters who have come back home who for various reasons, which so far none have admitted to each other - (not a spoiler, this is in the first chapter or so) - one's fiance has moved to London and she didn't follow him, one got fired from her job, and one is unwed and pregnant - but they all claim that they have returned to take care of their mother who is going thru treatment for breast cancer.  However, none seem to want to deal with her illness and mom and dad seem fine with just the two of them.  On the surface, they don't seem to like each other.  But you get hints that they really do love each other, as with any normal siblings.  One question I wonder, did something happen that they all left home and are distant from each other, or is it just their different personalities that keep them from being a tight-knit trio?



View all my reviews

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good read. I'm currently reading "Catching Fire" Part 2 of the Hunger Games series.