Friday, February 22, 2013

The Book I'm Carrying Around: Close My Eyes

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I watch CSI and Hawaii Five-O and swear I've solved the case by the first commercial break.  This one too.  Once I figured out the premise, I was sure I had solved the case, picked out the perpetrators, and was ready to call the police to lock these people up.  Perhaps why I've never been picked for jury duty.

Gen and Art's baby was born as a still-born eight years prior to the story.  While Art has worked through his grief and moved on, Gen is still mulling over it and weighed down by depression.  Then, she gets a visitor who puts this notion in her head that her baby didn't actually die, she becomes obsessed with finding out what happened to the baby, who knew, and who was involved.  At this point, I had implicated everyone who stepped onto a page.

There are a lot of twists and suspicions, some dead ends and meandering paths to unravel the whole story.  I will admit, there were a few bumps that I didn't quite accept, and I got a little distracted because I didn't like some of the characters' names (yeah, I know) but I rolled on and kept going.  And the ending, well, I'm still deciding what I thought about it.  But its a good, suspenseful, and surprising case.

Thanks to Bookreporter.com for an Advanced Reader's Copy.  The book is due out in July 2013.


No comments: