Monday, July 8, 2013

Lemony Mango-Vodka Gelees

For one of those days, when you're thinking "whew, a nice, cool drink would be good right now," but you don't feel like pulling out mixers and liquor and shot glasses and ice.  The solution: these yummy little Jello shots!

Not that I've invented them, but they are new to me! And believe it or not, I found the recipe in Cooking Light (July 2013).  Not exactly the way I made them, but that was my starting point. CL has Lemony Blackberry-Vodka Gelees.  But my grocery store didn't have unflavored gelatin and I didn't feel like cooking and straining blackberries and waiting 6 hours; although I'm sure their version is delicious and looks real pretty.

I made them before dinner and they were ready as a nice little after-dinner treat.  And wouldn't they be fun as a cook-out dessert?  I made it in a baking dishes, then cut into squares; I think next time, I'm going to make them in little shot glasses or dessert bowls.  Try them out, let me know how you like them - or if you have your own version!

Enjoy this cool, fruity vodka gelee anytime!
Lemony Mango-Vodka Gelees
1 cup vodka
2 envelopes mango Jello  (you can choose your favorite flavor if you don't like mango)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 cup water
  • Pour vodka in a bowl. Pour in flavored Jello, mix and let sit.
  • Combine sugar, lemon juice, water in sauce pan over medium-heat. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
  • Add sugar mixture to vodka-gelatin mixture, stir.  Make sure gelatin mixture has dissolved.
  • Pour into small baking dish, coated with cooking spray.
  • Chill about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Enjoy!

No comments: