Thursday, September 12, 2013

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Smoothie

Chocolate milkshakes?  One of my favorite hot weather treats. Okay, that's not true. It doesn't matter the weather, I'll drink one in a snowstorm.  And who doesn't love chocolate covered strawberries?  Even if you aren't particularly fond of chocolate or strawberries, can you really resist that sweet on sweet flavor?  Not me, I love it.  
 
Today is Chocolate Milkshake Day!  Kinda sneaky trick of whoever makes up these fabulous celebrations to put it at the end of the hot summer, right when you're trying to fit back into your fall wardrobe.  But where there's a will - or a taste, as in this case - there's a way.  This is a tasty treat that combines all of the deliciousness of chocolate and strawberries, just a little bit lighter. (But I'm not a nutritionist, so if calories & fat content is important, then you may want to investigate it more.) 
 
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Smoothie
Ingredients:
  • Strawberries - I used fresh frozen berries. The kids & I picked them at the beginning of the summer; I cut the big one's in half, sprinkled them with sugar, and put them in a ziploc freezer bag, laid the bag flat in the freezer. Now I can get out how much I need without defrosting the entire bag.
  • Almond milk - my recent favorite for smoothies.
  • Chocolate protein powder - it makes me feel healthy about enjoying chocolate.  Also, it makes me feel full so a smoothie actually will hold me when I'm running around and don't have time to stop to eat.
  • Agave nectar - to sweeten, use just a little bit - less than a tablespoon

 
Put it all in the blender - mix and enjoy!
 
Yummmm....
 
 
Chocolate covered strawberry smoothie - simple & sweet

No comments: