Friday, January 31, 2014

Books I'm Carrying Around: 12 Years a Slave, James McBride, Sue Monk Kidd

Did you read Bad Monkey and The Fault in Our Stars last month?  One seriously made me laugh outloud, the other I was literally (in the real definition) crying as I turned the pages. You can decipher which was which.

Now, new month, time for new book selections.  I'm going to finally get to 12 Years a Slave.  This is the story of Solomon Northrup, a free Black man who was abducted and sold back into slavery.  I haven't seen the movie yet because I don't like seeing movies before the book, and yes, this does curtail some of my movie watching as my to-read pile is pretty tall.

My second book (because I am trying to read more this year) should be.... what? I've got James McBride's The Good Lord Bird and a friend recommended Sue Monk Kidd's The Invention of Wings.  I bought The Good Lord Bird with no idea what it was about - it was James McBride, I liked the title, and it was on the shelf when I went to Busboys & Poets (which by the way, was a delicious lunch! If you are in the DC area, you can read more about it in this other post.)  As it turns out, its about a boy slave who must pass himself off as a girl to survive when he runs out of of town with the abolitionist  John Brown.  The Invention of Wings is about a Charleston girl who gets a 10-year old slave as an 11th birthday present.  That should be interesting, right?


The Invention of Wings
The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd

Yes, there is a bit of a slavery theme going on here.  I'm not pro-slavery of course, but there are some good books and stories written in that historic time frame.  And the well-written ones give us insight to not only the institution of slavery, but into human nature, and maybe into ourselves.

Will you be reading with me?  Share your read for the month in the Comments.

Join the conversation on Facebook: Just Piddlin' with Frances

No comments: