Monday, December 15, 2014

Currently... Decluttering Everything. Clothes. Books. Stuff

By now, you've probably seen, Material World, a photography collection of people around the world with their earthly possessions, published years ago by Peter Menzel.  To see some of the photos from countries other than the U.S., we realize the embarrassment of riches that we have.

I've been thinking about those photos lately, as I've been feeling quite crowded and cluttered in my own house.  I don't even feel justified in buying one other thing because - where would I put it?  I'm not saying that I'm going to get rid of everything, dwindling our belongings down to a blanket and a water bucket, but I could get rid of a lot and still have plenty.  So I'm trying to slim down a significant bit before the end of the year. Yes, this is my December, end of the year, push.

Some of the stuff is actually useful, if I could just remember I had it or had an efficient way to get to it. Some stuff is useless, to anybody.  Some can be repurposed and reused, in ways I mentioned in a previous post about reusing old clothes, or donated for various purposes.  I'm sorting through it all, one thing at a time, to figure that out.

So what have I got? On the top of the list:
  • Toys. I'm always sure that we are going to find that 1 missing puzzle piece and the rest of the games cards. And I keep picking up those little battleship pegs.  It's a process, but I'm admitting that none of that is going to happen, so it's time to let it go.  (Are you going to be singing Frozen all day now?)
  • Socks. All those 1-socks, particularly the ones that don't even fit anybody anymore.  I'm losing hope that the matches will ever resurface. But I do let my kids, the youngest especially, wear mis-matching socks of the same style.  Do you know that you an actually buy mis-matched packs of socks? What brilliant mom (I'm sure it was a mom tired of matching socks) came up with this marketing genius? I wish it was me. Then I'd be writing this post from a sunny beach somewhere.
  • Magazines.  I don't really read digital magazines, so that's not my replacement. I just need to admit that I'm actually not going back to that Real Simple article from June of 2010.  It was enjoyable then, it kept me occupied at the pool, now it's time to fill the recycling bin to make some new paper bags or newspapers or something.
Also - cookbooks, kids' clothes, sweaters, books to start.  I'll get into more details as I work through the piles, so come on back for all that.

What have you got that's piling up in your house that you need to get rid of?



Join the conversation on Facebook: Just Piddlin' with Frances

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh my gosh, I am in the same boat. We are moving in less than a month and I swear I am not even sure where to start because we have so.much.stuff.
I hate cleaning out books, but my toddler has so many books he is drowning (which is a good thing, he loves them), but some kids books are really bizarre and strange. Those I need to purge!

Mommyx4 said...

Jackie - I think this is why I don't plan on ever moving! Well, unless I hit the Powerball, then I may just pack up my yarn and start over somewhere brand new. Donate the kids' books to a library or local pre-school. And yes - there are a few strange little kid books out there.

Unknown said...

Blake wears mismatched socks all the time! Then I saw them in the store for a small fortune and i was like no way! Yes we should be sitting on a beach. As for magazines, I get rid of them right away. Read them then tear out recipes, inspiring articles, etc that I may refer back to later. The magazine gets recycled. They pile up too quickly especially since I get about 5 different ones a month.

Mommyx4 said...

You seem to be on it w the magazines. I need to get my crochet magazines organized, too!