Friday, January 8, 2016

Books I'm Carrying Around: Citizens Creek, The Abundant Community


It's Friday! * Can you hear my off-pitch singing of the happiness of the end of a long week? *  If the book fairies love me, at the end of the day I will settle down on my comfy couch with a nice, chilly glass of eggnog with these books for my #weekendread.

Citizens Creek by Lalita Tademy - Author of Red River and Cane River. Yes, her books have a southern river theme and they are all about family. Citizens Creek centers around the story of a slave family that is owned by Creek Indians. I know - who knew that was a thing, Indians owning slaves.  Cow Tom, the father of the family, speaks English and several Indian tribe languages and serves as a translator for the Indian Chief. It is the early 1800s and Cow Tom is sent to serve as a representative of the Creek tribe as a translator for the American government, during Removal of the Indian tribes from Florida and the southern states to the western Indian territories.
  - Update: my review of the book, posted on Goodreads

The Abundant Community: Awakening the Power of Families & Neighborhoods by John McKnight & Peter Block. From the inside jacket: Each neighborhood has people with the gifts and talents needed to provide for our prosperity and peace of mind - this book offers practical ways to discover them. I feel like I'm in school again and this is assigned reading. One of my PTA-friends suggested we read this in preparation for a neighborhood book talk coming up. Because I admire her commitment to the community and trust her selection of books, it made it to my list.

The theme for this #PiddlinReads selections: community and the talents of the people in them.

What are you reading? Let me know in the comments, on Facebook or on Twitter #PiddlinReads

No comments: