Monday, November 21, 2011

Here's a question...

Do you carry your purse or not?

Even when our most valuable possessions were a couple broken crayons, some Now N' Laters, and a few nickels, we learned as little girls not to leave your purse laying around. Now that I have more to lose, I still wonder when is appropriate to leave my purse, when I need to walk around for just a little while.

At church- I notice some women carry their purse when going up for offering or alter call. You would think church would be a safe place to leave your purse on the pew for the 2 or 3 minutes it will take for you to circle the aisles, but I think this falls in the "everybody in church ain't saved" category of thought.

Volunteer booth - You're working the book fair at school or the health fair at the community center. You just need to run to the office to get some more flyers. Do you leave your purse under the table, with your fellow volunteers or take it? If you take it, does that send the signal that you might not trust them? Will they be offended? Or do you say, "I'm leaving my purse, can you keep an eye on it?"

Dinner - You're out to dinner and have to go to the ladies' room. If you don't need your purse, do you leave it at your seat or take it anyway? Or does it matter who your table mates are, whether your friends or co-workers?

And what if you are the person left behind? Do you feel offended if someone takes their purse with them? Or are you relieved so you won't have to take any responsibility for it?

No answers today, just wondering. Feel free to chime in.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Do not be offended by someone taking their purse with them to the ladies room. Could be their time of month, need to freshen up their lipstick, or just habit. This time of year, I rarely leave my purse unattended or even with someone I know and trust. It's the other people that I don't trust. Good article!