Friday, December 16, 2011

Join the Bone Marrow registry

In the mid-90's, I heard about the daughter of baseball player Rod Carew who was suffering from leukemia and needed a bone marrow transplant. What was particularly difficult about the search for a match was her mixed heritage - her father was Panamanian and her mother, Jewish. In general, we always think all blood is the same - red. But scientifically, there are some differences.

Being a person of mixed descent, I felt compelled to sign up for the bone marrow registry. My heritage and racial make-up was different than Carew's daughter and I didn't think I'd be a match, but her case made me feel like it was something I had to do for the others like me, those who may not find a match so easily in their time of need. Ever since then, I've been listed on the bone marrow registry (though I've never been called).

What made me think of this today? A young woman in my sorority, someone I remember initiating into my graduate chapter, passed away today. Reportedly, she suffered from sickle cell anemia, a disease often treated by bone marrow transplants. In respect of her memory, I'm not pretending I knew about her illness or that I've even seen her in years, but her death still saddens me. I've learned that she has two small children and as a mother, that hurts my heart. As a Soror, I've cried a tear for this lost ivy. And as a person, it reaffirms my commitment and my decision to be on the registry. I urge you to consider it, too.

Maybe, one day, one of us will "Be the Match" and help save a life.

Join the conversation on Facebook: Just Piddlin' with Frances

1 comment:

Mommyx4 said...

welcome Susan!