Tuesday, February 14, 2012

How it all began...


He took a seat closer to the back than the front of the room.

“Can I help you?” she asked.

His eyes widened in surprise and he turned around to see if there was anyone behind him.  He pointed to himself as if to ask “are you talking to me?”

“Yeah, you.  Do you need something?”

“Nah.  I’m just here to get my sister when you’re done.”

With that, she turned back to the group and continued their rehearsal.  A few minutes later she turned back to him, holding out a script.

“Could you make yourself useful and read this for me?”

“Nah, I’m good right here.”

She stood, looking annoyed.  “Look, the guy who’s supposed to read this isn’t here.  Can you just read it?”

He pulled himself out of the pew, walked up to her, and took the papers from her.

“Why don’t you have any shoes on?” He asked, glancing down at her feet.

“I’m comfortable.”  She wiggled her toes in her socks.

“But we’re in a church.”

“I’m still comfortable.”

He shook his head.  “Where are you – what page are you on?  What am I reading?”

She pointed to the lines in the Black History play that she wanted him to read.  “Right there.”

“Okay, I’m ready.”

She turned back to the group.  “Alright folks, get back in your places.  Here we go.”

And they lived happily ever after.

1 comment:

divaonadetour said...

My first time reading your blog -- it is really great. Want to share a good book that has really helped me become more of a "slacker mom" -- The blessing of a B- by Wendy Mogel. Really challenges much of the high stress parenting that we so often see in the DC area...It really helped me be ok with easing up on everyone (including myself!) Good luck to you and keep it up!