Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What do you stay awake for?

I went to Caribou Coffee last evening for a latte with raw sugar.  This was my cup.  See what it says?  "What do you stay awake for?"

The irony of getting this cup?  I picked it up on my way to a discussion of the book "Drive"about encouraging intrinsic motivation.  I thought I had read this same query with its partner question - "What gets you up in the morning?"  in that same book, but now can't find the page and admit that perhaps my brain cells that categorize things is mistaken.  

So what's the answer?  The obvious answer, given the contents of the cup, is of course "caffeine".  But I imagine the folks at Caribou were suggesting something a bit deeper, but not necessarily too deep.  There are as many answers as there are people, as evidenced by the answers responses on the cup.  They range from the fun "uncontrollable laugh attacks" to an answer I love, "to end breast cancer - worldwide".  I'm thinking about it considering the late nights I keep, which are often fueled by caffeine.

I'm a night owl, always have been.  I am always the last person in my house to go to bed, generally hours after my husband has dozed off and Jimmy Fallon has said his good-night.  These hours are quiet, they're peaceful.  During this time, I am usually reading a good book, putting pen to paper (literally or electronically), crocheting, scrapbooking once in a blue moon.  Rarely am I washing dishes or dusting furniture.  I spend my late hours exploring something creative.  So, I think that's my answer.  

What about you?  What do you stay awake for?  Leave your answer and I'll read it later tonight.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

to read. blogs, books, magazines, emails, my bible. i stay up late to read stuff.

santi said...

A really good book.