Monday, September 17, 2012

Camp Cooking - Peach Cobbler


This past weekend, I took my Girl Scout troop on our first activity as Cadettes (we just bridged up to this group this past spring) - a beach trip with about 200 other older scouts in our county to Cape Henlopen, Delaware.
Lighthouse at Cape Henlopen, DE
The weather was great and Cape Henlopen was a nice location, which I’ve never been to before.  It’s an old military base which is now used as a state park, complete with beach, fishing, campgrounds, biking and walking trails.  The girls went seining – dragging a huge net through the tide to observe what sealife they could collect, then returned it all back to the water – and kayaking.  One of the things I like about the Girl Scouts is the opportunity for girls to try things that they wouldn’t in their regular day-to-day, like the seining activity which none of my troop has done before.

We also did some camp cooking.  Although I had planned to make these treats on a charcoal fire, we lucked up with an oven in the dining hall so I used that instead to save us from the possibility of a raging wildfire (there is no patch for that in the Girl Scout handbook).  We made two desserts: Peach Cobbler and Banana S’mores. I found a few variations of these on Pinterest and internet, neither is my original recipe, but I’m going to list them for your convenience.

Campfire Peach Cobbler
I split the recipe into 2 cake pans, but it could be made in one large one.

Ingredients
4 – 15-oz. cans of peaches (light syrup)
1 – 16-oz. bottle of Sprite
1 box of yellow cake mix

1. Drain peaches and pour into baking pan.

2. Pour cake mix on top of peaches.


3. Pour soda into pan and mix with cake mix until relatively smooth and not bubbly.
4. Put over grill or into oven at 350 degrees. 
5. Let bake until done.

When we did it, it took forever to bake, as in I put it in before dinner and it wasn’t ready until after.  But I did have the oven on low because I wasn’t familiar with the controls and didn’t want to mess with it too much.  But it should take about 30-40 minutes.  It was delicious when it was finally done.

Check back tomorrow for the Banana S'mores.

No comments: