Yes, pizza is a nice, easy choice. But every now and then, I attempt to be the good mom and cook for the little folks. However, I have noticed that when I leave vegetables, they somehow do not get eaten when I'm not around, and that's how this recipe came about.
Babysitter's Coming Chicken & RiceThis is a one pan dish - very little clean-up! You will need a large pan that will fit the chicken and cooked rice.
Chicken - legs, thighs (boneless or not, your preference) - 8 pieces
Salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder
Saffron or Sazon Seasoning by Goya (1 packet)
Spinach (fresh or frozen) - 2 cups
Rice (the kind that sticks together, not the instant rice) - 3 cups
- Season chicken pieces with salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder to your taste.
- Heat olive oil in large pan. Brown chicken lightly on each side.
- Set chicken aside. Drain oil from pan.
- Return chicken to pan and add spinach.
- Pour about 3 cups of rice in the pan. Add saffron seasoning and mix together.
- Pour water on top of all ingredients - about a finger's width above the level of the rice.
- Place lid on top of pan and let cook on low/medium until rice is done, about 30-40 minutes. If you notice all the water has cooked off and rice looks dry, add another cup and then return lid to pan.