Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Please be Patient... I'm My Own Work in Progress


WIP Wednesday is usually about my current work-in-progress yarn project. But as the old pastors say, God put another message on my heart today.


Let’s start from the beginning. My high school student missed the bus.  Why? I claim it is because she never packs up her stuff the night before.  She has her school books, binders, clothes for after-school sports practice, a lunch box, and who knows what else she carries in that backpack.  Every morning, she rushes around trying to get ready for school and gathering all that stuff. And not to single her out – all my kids do this.  Despite me saying every night, “Be sure to get your stuff together tomorrow. Put your lunchbox in the kitchen.  Don’t forget you have xyz after-school and need to get that stuff, too.”  They all say “Uh-huh, yeah, we did,” then return to playing Barbies, building Legos, reading a book, or polishing their nails.  And then the mad dash begins in the morning.

Let me explain the next piece of the puzzle. When my oldest misses the bus, we have to drive her to school. To a school that is about 20 minutes away, making for a 40 minute round-trip, which no matter how you figure it, makes somebody – at least one of the four – late for school, and everybody eat breakfast in the car.

So this was my pre- 8 a.m., 1 cup of coffee start to my day.  Yes, I was fussing. “How many times have I told you…” “This is not fair to your brother and sisters….” “Everybody, hurry up!”  You get the picture.

As I was pulling into my driveway after making the school rounds, some mom-guilt came over me.  Why aren’t I one of those moms whose kids are perfectly bathed and in the bed on time each night, with their clothes laid out neatly for the next day, backpacks packed, lunchboxes lined up on the kitchen counter? Why aren’t we having fresh-made biscuits and omelets in the morning?

And then, an old gospel song crept out of my brain cells. A song I haven’t heard in church for awhile because it seems choirs don’t sing old gospels anymore, only contemporary gospel, but that’s a different discussion for a different day. They used to sing this song, recorded a long time ago by Albertina Walker and James Cleveland (told you it was old), in church and it came to my mind this morning and has been with me ever since.  The key words …

Please be patient with me, God is not through with me yet.

I breathed and realized, no, remembered, that I’m not a perfect mom, but I’m doing the best I can.  And you know what? It’s the same for my kids.  They aren’t perfect, but I wouldn’t trade them for nothing.

Now, if you don’t believe in God or are some religion other than Christian or not religious at all, don’t let this message get lost, disregarded because of the mention of God.  The message to us all – moms, dads, kids, people – is that none of us are perfect.  We can strive for and work towards and develop our plans to be perfect, but none of us are there yet. We are all works in progress.  Be patient and see what beautiful thing you continue to become.



Join the conversation on Facebook: Just Piddlin' with Frances


Vote for Just Piddlin' for Top Family Blog for a 2nd year!
Circle of Moms Top 25 Family Blogs by Moms - 2013 - Vote for me!
    


No comments: