Friday, October 31, 2014

Books I'm Carrying Around: The Legacy by Necole Ryse


I’ve got a guest book reviewer typing for me today.  Necole Ryse sent us a copy of her debut novel, The Legacy, in response to a previous post about the need for more diverse books, especially for the teen readers.  My daughter read it in about two days.  Now, maybe I'll finally get to read it.

The Legacy, by Necole Ryse
The Legacy follows nineteen-year-old Raevyn Jones as she transitions from her home in Maryland to the Black Ivy League School, Benjamin Wallace Fitzgerald University. A school filled with rich, privileged, dedicated, legacy students, none of which Raevyn is. Raevyn must learn how to blend in with these students in order to escape her past.
At BW Fitz, Raevyn must learn how to act like a legacy (the child of an alum), which at the school is a big deal. She also begins to uncover her family’s past and how, after going to such a prestigious school, her father ends up working a construction job in Maryland. After making some friends (and frenemies), Raevyn finally begins to feel as if she fits in when she begins to receive threatening phone calls and messages and realizes that someone wants her to leave BW Fitz.
One thing that I really loved about this book is that there were characters that I can really relate to and that was pretty exciting. It was fun to have characters whom I could relate to, I could understand some of their problems - especially ones pertaining specifically to being an intelligent Black girl, and hair (oh, the struggle!) Besides the girls, the boys in the book made me fall in love two dozen times. Ryse describes all of the characters amazingly and gives them each very individual and real personalities.
The plot of the story has so many twists and turns and keeps the reader very interested, and the cliffhanger at the end is sooooo suspenseful. I CAN’T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!!


Join the conversation on Facebook & Twitter

No comments: