Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My birthday list

My birthday has come and gone. My husband, sister-in-law’s, and my birthday are within a week of each other, so each year, we have a week bookended by birthday celebrations, with Christmas in between. This year, we threw ourselves a party with a bunch of friends and had a great time. Now that most of the cake has been eaten and the house is starting to resemble its pre-party, household of six self again, I’m looking at my list for this year.

Here’s some of the things I managed to check off:

· Say “no!” – yeah, that’s a big one. I admit I didn’t say it all the time, but I think enough so that I’m not totally jam-packed with other folks priorities.

· Visit 4 states with the family – this took the shape of a 2-week, 1700 mile road trip with the kids this summer that took us through Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.

· Get to a size * and !!! pounds – I am wearing the size that I want and on a good day, I am actually the weight on my driver’s license.

· Read 10 good books – I’ve lost track of how many, but I have read some good ones. A few of my favorites this year: Little Bee, Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, The Help, Girl With the Dragon Tattoo & Girl Who Played with Fire, and Mermaid Sister (this is a children’s book but after reading it no less than 100 times, I’m adding it my list).

· Wear a bikini – related to weight/size goal as much as confidence in body image. And realizing that at my age and after 4 children, this is about the best we can hope for.

· Finish my tenure as PTA President – if you’ve ever been PTA President, you understand. Though I’ve moved on to County PTA and its like jumping from the pan to the fire.

Here’s some of the things to move to next year’s list:

· Finish reading the entire Bible – I didn’t get anywhere near done, in fact, I’m still in the Old Testament.

· Learn to knit – Its not that I don’t have the ability to knit, but I don’t have the patience to learn to do it well. By the time I knit a square, I could be done crocheting a sweater.

· Send birthday cards on time – I did pretty good this year, I think.

· Bake more cookies & cakes – my husband doesn’t think this is possible, but I’m going to try.

· Become a volunteer at the National Zoo – I particularly want to work in the Ape House.

And the best one:

Make it to my next birthday! This had nothing to do with my ability or determination, but all to do with God’s grace and omnipotence, and for that, I’m eternally blessed.

Happy birthday – whether you celebrate your birthday or not, with a party or a cupcake and a candle, with friends or by yourself – I hope that you honor another year of life and all the possibilities it holds.

No comments: