Monday, December 13, 2010

Another item from my birthday list - Get to 3.0 rating in tennis - done!


At the end of last year, I moved up from a 2.5. As far as tennis goes, this is still at an advanced-beginner level, I’m not going after Serena or Venus anytime soon. The point was that to advance, I had to keep practicing, keep playing, and eventually start winning consistently. And in the meantime, I was getting in some great exercise. Of course, now I’m a new 3.0 and getting beat left and right by the more advanced players at my level, and the process begins again – learn, practice, play, repeat.

“Becoming a better player” is subjective and as with many non-tangible things, hard to qualify. In these instances, we need some type of measurement of progress. For sports, it could be a win-loss ratio or the distance ran/walked/swam/jumped in a certain amount of time. For those who play an instrument, perhaps its playing a piece with x number of mistakes, reducing down to zero.

As the year comes to a close, we will go about the tradition of writing up a list of resolutions or goals for the new year. January 1, we get to start all over. This year, don’t just say you are going to “exercise more” or “work less”, add some numbers, a quantifiable, measurable target.

What’s going to count in the new year for you?

No comments: