Monday, July 16, 2012

Melted Crayon Projects

It's been all over Pinterest, these melted crayon art projects and a friend of mine did one, too, so eventually I had to try it.  It was a fun project to do with the kids - it was simple, creative, and low-mess.  We wanted to do something different than the straight across melted rainbow and were inspired by some other creative ideas we found.  The kids came up with their plans, then gathered our supplies.

Materials:

  • a bunch of crayons - many of the examples I saw had brand new crayons, but this seemed a perfect recycling project. We have a bucket full of used crayons, I'm sure anyone with kids has their own collection.
  • art canvas (this is my second art canvas project and I have a few more in mind, this might be my new favorite art project base)
  • glue gun
  • blow dryer
  • silk flowers


Before you start - cover your workspace in newspaper to protect against melted and spattered wax. Or work outside.

1. Glue the crayons in the desired design. You have to move fast because the hot glue cools a bit fast.


2. Turn the blowdryer to high and blow across the crayons. Wave it over the crayons slowly. Depending on the angle of the blowdryer, you will also get some splattering of the crayon. Use it to your creative advantage.


For the flower picture, cut the silk flowers so that they have no stem and will lay flat on the canvas. Hot glue in place.

The crayons will dry pretty quickly and be ready to hang!  My kids were so surprised and happy with the finished pieces - and so was I.  Let me know if you try it. Enjoy!

No comments: