Friday, April 19, 2013

Mom-Me Celebration - Day 8: Do Your Nails

Washing dishes, housekeeping, cooking, giving baths and braiding hair. Walking to the bus stop, carrying laundry up and down the stairs, running after kids all over the place. Moms, our hands and feet go through a workout!

On Day 8 of our Mom-Me Celebration, do your nails!  Whether at home, the corner nail salon, or a fancy spa, take a few minutes to stop what you're doing and take care of the hands that are so busy taking care of your family and the feet weary from carrying you all over the place.

Do you go bold or conservative with your nail color?
Manicures & pedicures are my self-pampering indulgence (and I know I'm not the only one). I've been busy lately, and a little stressed and tired, and I felt like I was way overdue for both. After running some errands this morning, I sat and did my fingernails in the quiet of my kitchen. And now that we are (hopefully) getting to sandal season, what a great excuse to go out and get my toes done.

A few seats over from me was a little kid. She was maybe 7 years old, sitting up in the plush seat, relaxing while the manicurist buffed her feet, trimmed her nails, massaged her hands, and painted her teeny toenails & fingernails. So, yeah. I do feel some kind of way about spa treatments for kids. What is that about? Is it spoiling the kid? Is it about the economic values being taught? Is it making her feel like she's been under so much stress that she deserves to be pampered? Is it about a child being serviced by grown women?  Maybe its about the overindulgence of kids in general (okay, yeah that made sound like an old lady.) Maybe its some selfishness, as in "why are there kids here in my relaxing space, can't we have anything for ourselves?" Yeah, it's a little bit of all of that.

As for me? My nails are a nice bright pink and coral and I feel sandal-ready. Did you do your nails today?



Follow along here on my blog or on Facebook - JustPiddlin with Frances for our 30-Day Mom-Me Celebration all the way until Mother's Day.

No comments: