Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Do you need to #unplug?

How many hours a day are you plugged in - checking email, scrolling thru Facebook, tweeting, instagramming, pinning, flapping your wings - all of that? I'll admit, I spend a good part of my day in front of a screen, whether it be a little teeny one, a medium, purse-sized one, or the big one on my desk. As a writer, blogger, and involved community person, I feel justified that I "need" to be connected. But okay, maybe not as much as I am.
 
I came across the NationalDayofUnplugging.com - a site, and I guess, you could say a movement, holiday, or cause, to encourage folks to unplug - for just one day, March 7-8, sundown to sundown. Ironically, or perhaps appropriately, I found out about it in a twitter chat, hosted by @MamasMashUp, 3 bloggers who go by this joint moniker, bringing you different perspectives on motherhood. Would I commit to turning off my phone, iPad, and computer for 24 hours? Whew. Had to think about that and what else I had to do during that time.
 
I have been thinking about this idea of unplugging though.  Partly because, thanks to all of our snow days, I have realized how much of my time I do spend on the computer while my kids have been circling around trying to entertain themselves. For the record, we are all busy right now, me on this blog post, they on their math workbooks and reading.  Also, while away this past weekend without Internet access, I realized how much "free" time I had to enjoy doing stuff like reading a book and taking a nap. So I admit, I could cull a few hours and still be productive. In fact, maybe more so when I'm focused. A week or so ago, I decided that I would set a timer  for my online tasks. Amazing the amount of tasks you actually get done when you're not reading the million tweets that scroll by.
 
There's not just the time reading all the stuff, but producing it, too. How often have we gone to a show, concert, game, or even to the playground with the kids and spent most of the time trying to snap a photo, make a video clip, and post it online to share... all while missing the full enjoyment of the thing?  Admittedly, this is one of my pet peeves to be somewhere and have all these phones and iPads blocking my view; and I try not to be one of those people.
 
This idea of unplugging is two-pronged (at least in my view).  One - reducing the amount of time online for the sake of productivity. Two - encouraging and reminding us to be in the moment.
 
What about you? Or, what about your kids? Do you need to unplug, even a little bit? Will you commit to a 24-hour day or an hour a day? 

When you are plugged in, like Just Piddlin' on Facebook and follow the conversation on Twitter @JustPiddlinBlog.
Evernote helps you remember everything and get organized effortlessly. Download Evernote.

No comments: