Sunday, April 14, 2013

Mom-Me Celebration: Day 3 - Let Someone Else Cook

Are you the primary cooker/food preparer/food gatherer in your home? If you're the mom, I'd venture to say you are. 21 times a week, you have the responsibility to make sure the other people in your home are well fed and watered, whether at your home dining table, in the school cafeteria, or in their office break-room. Don't you deserve a break for one of those meals? 1:20 is not too much to ask.

I love cooking, but I also appreciate the break from not cooking. This morning, we went out for brunch (with mimosa's!) When it's an option, I go for the omelet station - I like omelets, even more so when someone else makes them and all I have to do is wait for it to be placed on my plate in all its egg-y and chees-y goodness.
Omelet station with all the fixin's (mine had lobster, mozzarella, and artichokes)
Every now and then, I let/ask/make my kids cook dinner.  It usually ends up to be spaghetti and meat sauce with a salad, because that's about their culinary skill level right now. Having the kids cook isn't necessarily to make them into the next Emeril, but to teach them how to provide for themselves and others, and to better appreciate the work that goes into considering everyone's food preferences and preparing a meal. And for mom, a well-deserved meal cooked by other hands.

Do your kids cook? If so, what is their specialty?

No comments: