But knowing and doing are two different things. We're tired, we're busy, we don't know what to do, we don't feel like it. Our knees hurt, our backs ache, we get out of breath. Everyone has their own excuse. So today, is the push to get over all those excuses.
Your Mom-Me Celebration activity today is to Move for 30 minutes. Because, mom - you've got to be healthy, for yourself and for your family.
|I hated tennis in high school gym, but it's now one of my favorite activities - if only for the cute outfits.|
What to do? The first thought when you think exercse is running and weightlifting, but there's many more options. Here's a few:
- Dance - zuumba, jazz-ercise, step aerobics, formal dance classes
- Play a sport - softball, basketball, tennis, football
- Swim - laps, aqua-aerobics, water zuumba
- Walk - it's free and you can do it anywhere
- Return to your childhood favorites - ice skate, roller skate, bike ride
- Waiting for kids at practice/lessons/activities - go for a walk or run instead of sitting
- While checking emails and FB - I'm working on doing these things while on the treadmill. The key is to keep up whatever is your "normal" level on the treadmill while doing so, not crawling at 1 mile an hour.
- Before everyone wakes up (if you are a morning person)
- After everyone goes to bed (if you're a late-night person)
- While walking the dog - go for a run with the pooch, even if for a few minutes
- Schedule it in to your day, like any other appointment - put it on your calendar
How do I stick to it? Figure out what motivates you has been my key. It sounds simple, but that's what it comes down to - what is going to make you keep at it?
- Enjoy it - Find something you like, or at least can pretend to like for 30 minutes. Nothing will put a stop to an exercise routine like doing something you hate.
- Commitment - pay for a class, agree to meet a friend, join a team
- Join a gym - find one that fits your needs. Mine has a pool, various classes and lessons, experts to answer questions, kids' activities, childcare, even a masseuse - very few excuses left.
- Set a goal - determine how much weight you want to lose by a certain date, establish a target number you want to hit: miles, laps, baskets, serves, situps. I've set a number of miles I want to run each month - 26 - a marathon.
What is your favorite exercise or moving activity?