Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Mom-Me Celebration - Day 6: Eat Dessert!

Yesterday was Day 5 of the Mom-Me Celebration - Laugh, on purpose!  (I read the comics in the newspaper.)

We're on Day 6 of the Mom-Me Celebration - Eat dessert!

When this challenge first came to mind, I had planned that I would confess my love of chocolate and ice cream.  (Okay, not really a secret if you've read any random previous post or even glanced at the accompanying photo posted on Facebook.)

My idea of dessert - I'll take one of each, please.
But then I checked my mail and decided to switch up my note for the day.

One of my distant cousins (distant as in my great-grandmother and her great-grandmother were cousins, but we do know each other) sent me a note.  Enclosed was a xeroxed recipe for Mincemeat Cookies, dated February 1999; she wrote across the top "Mommy's recipe, Mommy's handwriting." Her mother passed away last month and she thought to share this bit of sweetness from her mother.  And coincidentally, it arrived in my mailbox today, on our Mom-Me Celebration "Eat dessert" day.

Now, I'll admit - though I've heard of mincemeat, I have never known what it was or why someone would want it baked in a pie, and certainly not why it would be in a cookie. As far as I'm concerned, cookies should contain chocolate or nuts, preferably both. I had to google 'mincemeat', which turns out to be a mixture of dried fruit, which may or may not have some portion of meat in it.  I'm going to assume that she would've used the non-meat version for these cookies. I don't know where to buy mincemeat, but if I figure it out, I'd like to try it, if for no other reason than pure curiosity. It looks like a good, spicy cookie - there's even rum in it! For another reason, because I love the connection to family through recipes.

As a further extension to the permission to eat dessert today, I also encourage you to enjoy a family favorite. Is it a cookie, a cake, a pie? Is it from a restaurant or grandmom's secret recipe? Isn't it fun when you show up for a family dinner and you know exactly what will be on the dessert table? For our family gatherings, we're having red velvet cake, banana pudding, and if we're really lucky, watergate salad (the kind with marshmallows and pistachio pudding), with ridiculously sweet tea to wash it all down with. And the funniest thing - not only does no one share their recipe, no one asks; we're content to let the assigned person fix their dessert forever.

Enjoy the sweetness!

Follow along here on my blog or on Facebook - JustPiddlin with Frances for our 30-Day Mom-Me Celebration all the way until Mother's Day.

No comments: